Monday, April 23, 2007

Marshall Rogers Died?!? Who Else?!?


I went with Bratworse to the dentist today and picked up a fairly recent Time magazine. Flippping through its pages, I stopped at Milestones (where the magazine recounts births, deaths and transitions) because there was an image of Batman at the bottom of the page.

(Note: Any self-respecting comic fan ALWAYS stops if there's a comic-related visual around)

The milestone was for Marshall Rogers' passing.

Last week, I read that Byron Preiss was killed in an auto accident in 2005.

There is a distinct sense in me, that time is passing.

Marshall Rogers (whom I've never met, but I've had the pleasure of working with his oft-partner in crime - Steve Englehart) drew THE Batman in the 70's (Steve wrote them, Marshall drew 'em). Marshall also gave the elongated look to Marvel's Iron Fist, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. In the 80's, through Eclipse Comics, Marshall Rogers published his own Cap'n Quick and a Foozle, which I loved.

Rest in peace, Marshall Rogers. Thank you for giving comic book fans a great alternative to the campy Batman that was on TV.

Byron Preiss was a publisher I worked with A LOT in the 90's. In any given week, I had a client working for Byron Preiss Visual Publications. In fact, I considered his editor, Howard Zimmerman, a pretty decent friend - I always visited him and his wife when on business in New York. Byron was ALWAYS friendly to me at his office and at conventions. Every San Diego, he'd be there in his business suit, pressed at the beginning of the show, but showing rumples towards the end of the day. Byron'd always be grinning, wiping his forehead with his white hanky, pushing up his glasses, showing me their latest project and wondering which of my clients would be best for the project.

It was a true shock reading articles about his death. Byron was a nice man, who really wanted to make a mark in the comic book field. Byron, you did. Thanks for all the work you gave my clients. RIP, Byron. I'll miss you.

comments

0 Responses to "Marshall Rogers Died?!? Who Else?!?"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates