Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The End is Near...



...for Ossie the Octopus that is.

When I woke up this morning, I did my usual morning routine. Go to the fish tank, turn on the lights and feed Flit, the green chromis and Gascon, the shrimp. (I actually think Bratworse misnamed the shrimp, it's supposed to be Sebastian from Little Mermaid.)

As soon as I feed them, I peer into the tank, into her den and see if I can see through the little hole. Usually I can't see into it because her body is in the way. This morning not only could I see through it, I couldn't see her breathing (which is usually how we tell she's in there).

Bratworse came over to look and unlike me, she looks around inside the tank and declares "Ossie's out and about." Sure enough, there was Ossie over on the opposite side of the tank.

She's much paler than she was, and she looks shrunken. Since she's entered into the age of senescence for octopuses, her tentacles are all curled at the ends. Someone once described the look as curly-q's or corkscrews, which is accurate. Her breathing is regular and her eyes still appear quite bright. We are hoping that she will live for a few more days so we can enjoy her, but the end is definitely coming soon.

Ossie has got to be one of my all-time favorite pets.

comments

0 Responses to "The End is Near..."
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates