Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hooked


Whenever I have a bit of extra money, I go to EBay and browse through their offerings of Shaw Brothers movies, usually starring my two favorite actors from the 1970s - David Chiang and Ti Lung. Last month while I was shifting through various SB titles, an idea hit - why don't I look for series from TVB from Hong Kong?

In Hong Kong, there aren't any seasons like in America. The dramas are usually set up like maxi-series, running between 25 episodes to 150 episodes. FYI, Chow Yun Fat got his start in a TVB series called Man without a Net. According to the Singapore newspaper, when Chow Yun Fat finally kissed on that series, all of Singapore swooned. This was back in the late 1970s.

I much prefer the serials set in old China, with kung-fu action and much melodrama and usually one or two women in drag. So when I saw the series New Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre had english subtitles, I bought it. 40 episodes of pure joy.

Bratworse is also hooked on it. I can't believe it but that was the main reason I got English subtitles (the secondary reason being my Chinese is so-so and I personally read subtitles to get more or less the full gist of what's going on).

This morning, when I woke up, I realized all the men in my dream had hair buns on top of their heads, just like in this TV series. Can you say, Hooked?

comments

0 Responses to "Hooked"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates