Thursday, March 15, 2007

Know Thy Bible


Through Hullabaloo I see that people are blaming lack of knowledge about religion and religious history on schools not being able to teach religions.

Me, I blame the churches and the families.

I personally have a pretty decent knowledge of the stories in the bible (having been sick most of my childhood and having nothing but bible stories and comic books to keep me company). The bible itself, not so much. But I know enough stories to give even religious teachers a run for their money (or tithes, so to speak).

For example, I was at a restaurant recently and the waitress said that the day's soup was Lentil soup. So I quipped, "do I have to give up my birthright to drink it?" Puzzled looks and a polite laugh greeted this. I then had to tell the story of Jacob and Esau and how Esau was willing to give up his birthright to Jacob all for lentil soup.

To be honest, if I hadn't been bedridden most of my childhood, I probably would've never learned this story through my many years of sunday school. But, should public school have taught me this? I much rather public school have taught me about French History instead. (My french history is appallingly lacking - I think over the next few years, I'll teach myself about it.)

comments

0 Responses to "Know Thy Bible"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates